Skip to main content

"With Liberty and Justice for All" ??

"... one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." My almost four year old beams as he finishes reciting the pledge of allegiance he has set his determined mind on knowing. It seems so sweet and perfect right after the fourth of July celebrations.

However- we are not indivisible. There is not liberty or justice for all. When our founding fathers wrote all people in the United States of America (and all people for that matter) deserve "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" in the Declaration of Independence, they found those three inalienable rights undeniable to anyone and the job of the nation is to protect them. I would even go as far to say our determination to protect each individual's life, liberty and their own personal pursuit of happiness is what drove the first Americans to declare independence in 1776.

There was no liberty or justice for Alton Sterling. He was denied life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. There is no liberty or justice for Quinyetta McMillion.

There was no liberty or justice for Philando Castile. He was denied life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. There is not liberty or justice for his fiance Diamond Reynolds. Do you think her four year old daughter (the same age as my white son) is going to be believing the pledge of allegiance "...liberty and justice for all." as she recalls witnessing her to be father murdered by police of the United States of America???? Does she believe her unalienable rights of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness are protected by the government of this nation? No.

There was no liberty or justice for the five police officers shot in Dallas. Do you think their children will believe the pledge when they recite, "...one nation under God, indivisible...."??? No.

There was and is daily no liberty and justice for our fellow citizens growing up terrorized by gang violence. The children who experience this violence daily in cities like Chicago do not enjoy the same life, liberty and pursuit of happiness my children do in the suburbs of San Diego.

How are we one nation? President Obama is saying we are not as divided as people think. I say we are and have been divided for far to long. The fear, hatred, and unconscionably violence are symptoms that we are no longer the nation our founding fathers dreamed of when we declared independence in 1776.

The pledge of allegiance sounds great - but it does not apply to everyone. We could add - "...liberty and justice for all except black men and boys, homeless, gays, and anyone who stands for something other people don't agree with."  And amend the Declaration of Independence to say "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.. unless you happen to be involved in another mass shooting then these rights no longer apply. 
I am angry. I have no idea what life is like as Diamond Reynolds. I have no idea how it feels to be pulled over by a police officer and be terrified for my life while still responding, "I will sir, no worries, I will."

So let's do something about it. Let's not make the pledge of allegiance we teach our children as fictitious as the Easter Bunny or Santa Claus. Let's actually remember the whole reason our nation was founded. We have voices. We are a generation of strength. We are a generation of influence. Our voices can be heard now better than ever before. First we have to face the truth before we can actually do something.

So, Ms. Quinyetta McMillion, I will not rest either. I will not let what happen be forgotten or "swept into the dust." Because we can still become One Nation. Under God. Indivisible. With Liberty and Justice for ALL.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I'm not moving to Canada and I hope you don't either

Dear fellow Americans,

Yesterday I woke up singing "sister suffragette" with misty eyes.

 "Cast off the shackles of yesterday
 shoulder to shoulder -
into the fray!"

Not because I love Hillary Clinton. Because of the historical significance that she was even on the ballot. That the idea a woman could run for president won't be a fairy tale to my children. As I sat on the brown corduroy couch in my predictably blue state I watched state after state shock the news as it came up bright red.

Friends, history is alive right now. We are the American people and the generation experiencing this shift in paradigm today. How are we going to respond?

Susan B. Anthony's grave was covered with women's "I voted" stickers yesterday.
 I don't think Susan B. Anthony would leave the country if she was alive today.
Did she leave the country or threaten to when she was arrested for illegal voting?

Did Rosa Parks try to leave the country after she faced Jim Cr…

Diagnosis Disorders and Uniqueness

Last week I found out some really hard news about my daughter.

In my gut, I always knew certain parenting strategies wouldn't work for her like they did for my son. Everyone with more than one kid knows that. But more often than not, there are some pretty challenging as well as amazing quirks my daughter has which makes her incredibly unique.

It seemed pretty clear to me my daughter has a speech delay. Not uncommon. However, the speech therapist also diagnosed her with something called sensory processing disorder.

All of her behaviors I had thought which make her very adventurous, unique, stubborn, strong willed and creative are categorized under this disorder.  Something about the term "disorder" really bothered me which is why it was so hard to hear. Of course no parent wants their child to struggle, but I shirked away from so quickly putting a label on my 2 year old.

The positive side to knowing she possibly has SPD is I already have gained some really positive strate…

Shame in Motherhood

I started my role as a mother with very different lenses than I have now. A different perspective I guess you would say. I would say, for me, being a mom transformed forced me to change. I mean really change.

I remember looking at my red faced newborn little boy and being so overwhelmed with love and joy and knowing what our little life would be like. How perfect it would be. What a great mother I would be. I envisioned going to all his little sports games, volunteering in all of his classes, and before that strolling down the sidewalk with a cute stroller, baby, and fashionable diaper bag. Ready to meet my mob of mom friends and their sweet babies. 
As a self proclaimed extroverted perfectionist I felt ready to tackle this new role and life as a stay at home mom like never has been done before! 
But, seriously, there is a major problem with being a perfectionist and a mother at the same time. The two cannot co exist in any healthy sort of way. Or any sort of way that won't send …