Skip to main content

Cut the Mommy Guilt!

Mommy guilt - the feeling you get when you do something logical or even feel something other than happy, thankful or patient.

From the moment the first child is born, moms start feeling the mommy guilt. I know I did. A lot of it has to do with "shoulds" and comparing myself to other moms and babies. Or I should say my perceptions of other moms and babies.

Looking back to the first month of mommy-hood - I wondered, "Were other moms feeling so overwhelmed?" "Did other moms ever look at their baby and feel at a loss rather than constantly consumed with love?" "Are other moms not enjoying breast feeding too?" Well unless you have a community of honest mom friends (which is hard to have from the start) all there is to look at is social media, advertising, and women in public.

I realize not everyone reading this is a neurotic, text book first born perfectionist. These parts of myself translated into mega mommy guilt. I didn't think other moms ever felt those feelings or ever felt anything but total gushing love over their little bundle of joy. It took me a super long time to even be honest with my mom friends about my struggles because I so desperately wanted to be like the mom on social media and on the cover of magazines. But just like the girls on the cover of other magazines, this perfect mommy does not exist.

Mommy guilt usually comes when I feel any of the following: angry, lonely, tired, overwhelmed, frustrated, bitter, or jealous. These feelings aren't great to feel - I don't think anyone enjoys them, but they are real. Everyone feels them. When I became a mom, all of a sudden I felt like I was not allowed to feel them anymore because when I did I would then feel all the guilt.

Mommy Guilt for - 
Feeling tired because some moms are more tired.
Feeling angry because some moms don't get angry at what little people do and are peaceful.
Feeling lonely because some moms have to go to work and can't stay at home to raise their kids.
Feeling frustrated or stressed about kids behavior because I just read a blog on my feed about a mom who lost her baby right after she was born.
Feeling jealous because some moms are in poverty.

I'm not saying I'm trying to wallow in these feelings (disclaimer because I'm feeling guilty for writing this post).  I am trying to teach my kids about their feelings. About how to feel everything and handle it. I'm not teaching my four year old to feel guilty for feeling things that are normal. So why should I ? Why should I feel guilty for recognizing I need a break? Or for knowing being a mom is hard. Parenting is hard. And that's okay. And instead of comparing myself to the non existent perfect mom out there who never feels anything but gentleness, patience and gushing love and is probably right now singing a beautiful nursery rhyme - I want to stop the guilt. I want to practice self care (going for a run, taking a walk, making a phone call to a good friend, getting a hair cut) .

Because maybe if I address these feelings and what's causing them instead of feeling guilty for them and stuffing them I will actually be a happier mom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diagnosis Disorders and Uniqueness

Last week I found out some really hard news about my daughter. In my gut, I always knew certain parenting strategies wouldn't work for her like they did for my son. Everyone with more than one kid knows that. But more often than not, there are some pretty challenging as well as amazing quirks my daughter has which makes her incredibly unique. It seemed pretty clear to me my daughter has a speech delay. Not uncommon. However, the speech therapist also diagnosed her with something called sensory processing disorder. All of her behaviors I had thought which make her very adventurous, unique, stubborn, strong willed and creative are categorized under this disorder.  Something about the term "disorder" really bothered me which is why it was so hard to hear. Of course no parent wants their child to struggle, but I shirked away from so quickly putting a label on my 2 year old. The positive side to knowing she possibly has SPD is I already have gained some really positive

A call to parents raising children in a terror stricken era

How do we raise our children in this world?  I want to take a step back from the politics, the rhetoric, the trending hashtags and prayers vs. gun control debate. I want to address how our generation is going to raise our children in the era of mass shootings. Random mass shootings in our country.  I had not realized how much the fear of terror so close to home had affected me until I was at a Christmas concert at my church this past weekend. While listening to beautiful orchestra reverberating "Joy to the World' I began to think...what if there is a shooter planning on coming in here? My back is to the entrance. I began to fill with anxiety instead of peace. I heard a little boy asking his mom if a musician with his instrument was in fact a "guy with a big gun".   When did a concert I have attended most Christmases of my life turn into something other than joyous?  Growing up, it was normal for me to hear Tom Brokaw or Diane Sawyer on the evening news along

I woke up to a Lego gun in my face- how was your Saturday morning?

So we don't own any toy guns - we have two toy weapons by my estimation. A bow with soft tipped arrows and a miniature light saber which came with a Darth Vader build a bear. Both of those weapons are currently confiscated. My kids only watch Disney movies and PBS. And much to my dismay Paw Patrol.  So why is it that before dinner time I have been punched in the face (by accident), shot with "chemical fire", shot with a gun constructed by legos, and also obliterated by the "fastest ship ever with super mega guns that only breaks if someone on board has to go poop." Oh and the time I'm innocently brewing coffee in the kitchen? Out pops a little boy with a toy axe waving above his head saying "HI MOMMY!" He might as well said " HERE'S JOHNNY!! " Man it's a rough day.  And I'm not even going to mention all of the harm which has befallen a little sister and her baby dolls who are constantly napping and getting bo