Skip to main content

Cut the Mommy Guilt!

Mommy guilt - the feeling you get when you do something logical or even feel something other than happy, thankful or patient.

From the moment the first child is born, moms start feeling the mommy guilt. I know I did. A lot of it has to do with "shoulds" and comparing myself to other moms and babies. Or I should say my perceptions of other moms and babies.

Looking back to the first month of mommy-hood - I wondered, "Were other moms feeling so overwhelmed?" "Did other moms ever look at their baby and feel at a loss rather than constantly consumed with love?" "Are other moms not enjoying breast feeding too?" Well unless you have a community of honest mom friends (which is hard to have from the start) all there is to look at is social media, advertising, and women in public.

I realize not everyone reading this is a neurotic, text book first born perfectionist. These parts of myself translated into mega mommy guilt. I didn't think other moms ever felt those feelings or ever felt anything but total gushing love over their little bundle of joy. It took me a super long time to even be honest with my mom friends about my struggles because I so desperately wanted to be like the mom on social media and on the cover of magazines. But just like the girls on the cover of other magazines, this perfect mommy does not exist.

Mommy guilt usually comes when I feel any of the following: angry, lonely, tired, overwhelmed, frustrated, bitter, or jealous. These feelings aren't great to feel - I don't think anyone enjoys them, but they are real. Everyone feels them. When I became a mom, all of a sudden I felt like I was not allowed to feel them anymore because when I did I would then feel all the guilt.

Mommy Guilt for - 
Feeling tired because some moms are more tired.
Feeling angry because some moms don't get angry at what little people do and are peaceful.
Feeling lonely because some moms have to go to work and can't stay at home to raise their kids.
Feeling frustrated or stressed about kids behavior because I just read a blog on my feed about a mom who lost her baby right after she was born.
Feeling jealous because some moms are in poverty.

I'm not saying I'm trying to wallow in these feelings (disclaimer because I'm feeling guilty for writing this post).  I am trying to teach my kids about their feelings. About how to feel everything and handle it. I'm not teaching my four year old to feel guilty for feeling things that are normal. So why should I ? Why should I feel guilty for recognizing I need a break? Or for knowing being a mom is hard. Parenting is hard. And that's okay. And instead of comparing myself to the non existent perfect mom out there who never feels anything but gentleness, patience and gushing love and is probably right now singing a beautiful nursery rhyme - I want to stop the guilt. I want to practice self care (going for a run, taking a walk, making a phone call to a good friend, getting a hair cut) .

Because maybe if I address these feelings and what's causing them instead of feeling guilty for them and stuffing them I will actually be a happier mom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I'm not moving to Canada and I hope you don't either

Dear fellow Americans,

Yesterday I woke up singing "sister suffragette" with misty eyes.

 "Cast off the shackles of yesterday
 shoulder to shoulder -
into the fray!"

Not because I love Hillary Clinton. Because of the historical significance that she was even on the ballot. That the idea a woman could run for president won't be a fairy tale to my children. As I sat on the brown corduroy couch in my predictably blue state I watched state after state shock the news as it came up bright red.

Friends, history is alive right now. We are the American people and the generation experiencing this shift in paradigm today. How are we going to respond?

Susan B. Anthony's grave was covered with women's "I voted" stickers yesterday.
 I don't think Susan B. Anthony would leave the country if she was alive today.
Did she leave the country or threaten to when she was arrested for illegal voting?

Did Rosa Parks try to leave the country after she faced Jim Cr…

Diagnosis Disorders and Uniqueness

Last week I found out some really hard news about my daughter.

In my gut, I always knew certain parenting strategies wouldn't work for her like they did for my son. Everyone with more than one kid knows that. But more often than not, there are some pretty challenging as well as amazing quirks my daughter has which makes her incredibly unique.

It seemed pretty clear to me my daughter has a speech delay. Not uncommon. However, the speech therapist also diagnosed her with something called sensory processing disorder.

All of her behaviors I had thought which make her very adventurous, unique, stubborn, strong willed and creative are categorized under this disorder.  Something about the term "disorder" really bothered me which is why it was so hard to hear. Of course no parent wants their child to struggle, but I shirked away from so quickly putting a label on my 2 year old.

The positive side to knowing she possibly has SPD is I already have gained some really positive strate…

Shame in Motherhood

I started my role as a mother with very different lenses than I have now. A different perspective I guess you would say. I would say, for me, being a mom transformed forced me to change. I mean really change.

I remember looking at my red faced newborn little boy and being so overwhelmed with love and joy and knowing what our little life would be like. How perfect it would be. What a great mother I would be. I envisioned going to all his little sports games, volunteering in all of his classes, and before that strolling down the sidewalk with a cute stroller, baby, and fashionable diaper bag. Ready to meet my mob of mom friends and their sweet babies. 
As a self proclaimed extroverted perfectionist I felt ready to tackle this new role and life as a stay at home mom like never has been done before! 
But, seriously, there is a major problem with being a perfectionist and a mother at the same time. The two cannot co exist in any healthy sort of way. Or any sort of way that won't send …