Skip to main content

How this day changed

This morning was one for the books. I can tell you it reflected a chaotic and bleak day based on how it began. It consisted of a neglected coffee cup and two unique challenges from my preschooler and toddler. My job is to get my preschooler to school by 9am. My obstacles were clear. He didn't want to go and cried about how he doesn't want to see another kid in his class because he's afraid this kid will hit him and say mean things. Oh my gosh. Did I mention he's 3? My mind is swirling with how to help him be brave and courageous and at the same time I want desperately to keep him home and hug him and fill him with love instead of be brought down by someone else.  Of course in the midst of trying to navigate this difficult situation, my almost two year old daughter declared to the house and entire neighborhood she decided to come to preschool drop off in her brother's rain boots and nothing else. Besides the obvious point where she needs to wear clothes in public her brother was not too happy in her boot choice. Screaming, back arching, writhing and stripping toddler and scared preschooler. Good Morning !

I don't know how it happened, but I dropped him off at school and gave him a big hug and brought my daughter with her haphazard pants and top, no shoes and wild uncombed hair.  Arriving at home with my moody toddler herself something clicked. I realized I have a choice to make about the day. I put on my running shoes, strapped her in the stroller and went running even though I drank way too much luke warm coffee and way too little water. Once I got going I noticed something. Since the last time I took this familiar path along a familiar road hundred of flowers have bloomed. I mean an astonishing amount. The further I ran along the path the more gorgeous flowers greeted me. Flowers neatly planned and planted by the city then suddenly open spaces with tangled messes of bright wild flowers interwoven and nourished not by irrigation but only by the scant rainfall of San Diego. Even on my way back along the same path I noticed flowers I hadn't seen on the way out.

My heart filled with joy and peace. The flowers planted and planned bloomed well and perfectly. However the wildflowers in all their unexpected, tangled and seemingly random and spontaneous beauty astonished me. They seemed to thrive despite drought and disorder. All of the flowers though different flourished in harmony along my path. Just like mothering. Some days seem as orderly as the planted and planned flowers. Some days are a mix. Today and most days are like those wildflowers. A tangled, unplanned and organically beautiful mix of flourishing in adversity. Taking a break to run and notice nature allowed me to breathe, slow down, and realize flourishing is possible despite worldly conditions. And that filled me with the strength and peace today requires.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diagnosis Disorders and Uniqueness

Last week I found out some really hard news about my daughter. In my gut, I always knew certain parenting strategies wouldn't work for her like they did for my son. Everyone with more than one kid knows that. But more often than not, there are some pretty challenging as well as amazing quirks my daughter has which makes her incredibly unique. It seemed pretty clear to me my daughter has a speech delay. Not uncommon. However, the speech therapist also diagnosed her with something called sensory processing disorder. All of her behaviors I had thought which make her very adventurous, unique, stubborn, strong willed and creative are categorized under this disorder.  Something about the term "disorder" really bothered me which is why it was so hard to hear. Of course no parent wants their child to struggle, but I shirked away from so quickly putting a label on my 2 year old. The positive side to knowing she possibly has SPD is I already have gained some really positive

A call to parents raising children in a terror stricken era

How do we raise our children in this world?  I want to take a step back from the politics, the rhetoric, the trending hashtags and prayers vs. gun control debate. I want to address how our generation is going to raise our children in the era of mass shootings. Random mass shootings in our country.  I had not realized how much the fear of terror so close to home had affected me until I was at a Christmas concert at my church this past weekend. While listening to beautiful orchestra reverberating "Joy to the World' I began to think...what if there is a shooter planning on coming in here? My back is to the entrance. I began to fill with anxiety instead of peace. I heard a little boy asking his mom if a musician with his instrument was in fact a "guy with a big gun".   When did a concert I have attended most Christmases of my life turn into something other than joyous?  Growing up, it was normal for me to hear Tom Brokaw or Diane Sawyer on the evening news along

I woke up to a Lego gun in my face- how was your Saturday morning?

So we don't own any toy guns - we have two toy weapons by my estimation. A bow with soft tipped arrows and a miniature light saber which came with a Darth Vader build a bear. Both of those weapons are currently confiscated. My kids only watch Disney movies and PBS. And much to my dismay Paw Patrol.  So why is it that before dinner time I have been punched in the face (by accident), shot with "chemical fire", shot with a gun constructed by legos, and also obliterated by the "fastest ship ever with super mega guns that only breaks if someone on board has to go poop." Oh and the time I'm innocently brewing coffee in the kitchen? Out pops a little boy with a toy axe waving above his head saying "HI MOMMY!" He might as well said " HERE'S JOHNNY!! " Man it's a rough day.  And I'm not even going to mention all of the harm which has befallen a little sister and her baby dolls who are constantly napping and getting bo