Skip to main content

Dear tired and hurting mamas...

Dear Mamas,


For me this is the Monday morning of spring break. For you it may just be another Monday and you may be completely not affected by school schedules yet. What if this week we had a choice?  A choice to let love be the loudest voice. Ultimately, we are really the ones who decide whether or not we are going to thrive in motherhood rather than merely surviving. It may not seem like that when love is not the loudest voice. When all the other crap weighs us down. When are not only desperately physically and emotionally needed constantly by our children but at the same time are attacked by the negativity of our mind. When we are so physically tired but then are not being kind to ourselves. Comparing ourselves to other moms in a negative way. Thinking other moms are better than us or that we are in adequate. We must try harder. Or how about worrying that something terrible will happen to our children unless we are completely aware and prepared for any situation? Or some of us may just feel so lonely. Longing for adult connection conversation and at a loss for who we have become.

I think one of the deepest human desires and needs at every stage of our life is to be truly known and loved. This stage, for me at least, becomes very confusing in motherhood. We are obviously loved by our children. That love is so raw and primal. However, the strength and inner resilience required as a mother also reflects the necessity to be known and loved as who I am right here and now. Just to be known and loved as me. Not defined as my roles, but who I am as an individual and loved. We need a community of our peers to encourage us. We need to be around other moms who are committed to encouraging each other to let love be the loudest voice.

I recently heard a really sad story about a mom who was involved in a community of other mothers. She picked her son up from school, had the younger one in the car, and drove to an abandoned parking lot. She then shot both her kids and then herself. She left a note saying she could not bear to let her children grow up with such a fearful and terrible mother. This story broke my heart. It is possible to be surrounded by others yet feel so alone. I wish I could wrap my arms around her and tell her she is loved and she is enough. But it's too late.

If you are reading this and are feeling desperately alone and not enough please know I have felt this way. It takes courage to be honest and real and your true self with another mom. We need each other. We don't have time to allow all of the fake bullshit be the most important. We need to lift each other up, love and truly know each other. Because right now we are doing important and powerful work. We are raising the next generation.

There are few things as powerful as mothers rallying together to do something they believe in. Let's rally together to believe in each other. Because when we do we will not only save ourselves but we could save a sister who is desperate. And when we let love be the loudest voice, our children see. And that's how we can change the world.

So here's to a Monday where we set out to do the hardest job we've ever done and let love be the loudest voice.

Love,
Dana

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A call to parents raising children in a terror stricken era

How do we raise our children in this world?  I want to take a step back from the politics, the rhetoric, the trending hashtags and prayers vs. gun control debate. I want to address how our generation is going to raise our children in the era of mass shootings. Random mass shootings in our country.  I had not realized how much the fear of terror so close to home had affected me until I was at a Christmas concert at my church this past weekend. While listening to beautiful orchestra reverberating "Joy to the World' I began to think...what if there is a shooter planning on coming in here? My back is to the entrance. I began to fill with anxiety instead of peace. I heard a little boy asking his mom if a musician with his instrument was in fact a "guy with a big gun".   When did a concert I have attended most Christmases of my life turn into something other than joyous?  Growing up, it was normal for me to hear Tom Brokaw or Diane Sawyer on the evening news along

Diagnosis Disorders and Uniqueness

Last week I found out some really hard news about my daughter. In my gut, I always knew certain parenting strategies wouldn't work for her like they did for my son. Everyone with more than one kid knows that. But more often than not, there are some pretty challenging as well as amazing quirks my daughter has which makes her incredibly unique. It seemed pretty clear to me my daughter has a speech delay. Not uncommon. However, the speech therapist also diagnosed her with something called sensory processing disorder. All of her behaviors I had thought which make her very adventurous, unique, stubborn, strong willed and creative are categorized under this disorder.  Something about the term "disorder" really bothered me which is why it was so hard to hear. Of course no parent wants their child to struggle, but I shirked away from so quickly putting a label on my 2 year old. The positive side to knowing she possibly has SPD is I already have gained some really positive

I woke up to a Lego gun in my face- how was your Saturday morning?

So we don't own any toy guns - we have two toy weapons by my estimation. A bow with soft tipped arrows and a miniature light saber which came with a Darth Vader build a bear. Both of those weapons are currently confiscated. My kids only watch Disney movies and PBS. And much to my dismay Paw Patrol.  So why is it that before dinner time I have been punched in the face (by accident), shot with "chemical fire", shot with a gun constructed by legos, and also obliterated by the "fastest ship ever with super mega guns that only breaks if someone on board has to go poop." Oh and the time I'm innocently brewing coffee in the kitchen? Out pops a little boy with a toy axe waving above his head saying "HI MOMMY!" He might as well said " HERE'S JOHNNY!! " Man it's a rough day.  And I'm not even going to mention all of the harm which has befallen a little sister and her baby dolls who are constantly napping and getting bo