Skip to main content

Everest in high heeled boots

Something happened to me at a party (yes I know I was at an actual party) the other weekend I can't stop thinking about. As the night and the open bar wore on two separate women came up to me at separate times and confessed a couple of things about how they felt inferior as moms. We both were standing on the balcony, cocktails in hand, wearing ridiculously high heeled boots shifting from one foot to another. All I could think about as I began to chat with this woman is I cannot stand another single second in these shoes. My feet are literally breaking as she is talking to me. Then she snapped my mind only for a second out of my foot loathing to say, "I am admitting to you - because you seem like the type who won't judge me - I feed my 7 month old food from a jar and I supplement him with formula." She stopped and looked at me like she had just confessed she actually is involved in the mob or a fugitive heading to Mexico. I told her, "Can we please just sit down at that table right next to us because my feet are killing me."

We sat down. Looked at our shoes - admired how damn sexy they are and how much we hate them at the same time. And then as the throbbing pain eased in our feet I wondered when we started to be so hard on ourselves as mothers and on other mothers. I decided then and there I would no longer continue to stand next to this sister and not acknowledge our feet were both killing us and make small talk about the view or the beautiful remodel and how yummy the signature cocktail was. Let's sit down together and acknowledge the hard. 

She told me about her struggles with fertility, her struggles with nursing, and then her struggle to have the energy to keep up with the pressure to make her baby's food fresh and organic. Like she was failing as a woman. How exhausting it was to attend these playgroups where mothers one upped each other and surveyed which outfits the babies were wearing, competed with nap schedules, and debated introducing pureed sweet potatoes or yams. Maybe because I have found an amazing community of women, or maybe because I give off the impression that I don't care about these things and those moms want to squirt a whole bottle of Purell in my general direction, or maybe I have just graduated to new competitions like birthday parties, teacher appreciation gifts, and summer camps. We hugged a few times and cried. It was an experience I will never forget. 

Anyway - I just wanted to say to all you newish moms out there - it's hard to be a mom. You are doing a great job. Everyone enters this journey differently - through IVF, accidental pregnancy, or even after a few miscarriages. Some of your babies were born naturally, some via C section. Some of us were able to breastfeed for an entire year. Some never. Some for 6 months. This has zero reflection on who you are as a woman and as a mother. 

I watched the movie Everest with my husband last night and one of the guides tells Jake Gyllenhaal's character, "We can't compete with each other as guides. We don't need competition among the humans. The mountain has the final say and is competition enough." I couldn't help but think of motherhood. We don't need competition among ourselves as mothers - life has the final say and our kids are competition enough. Being a parent is similar to climbing Mt. Everest - don't you think? I don't know if I'll make it out alive. And I don't have the energy or the oxygen to compete with my fellow climbers. But if I'm in a spot where I'm able, I share my extra bottle of O and ask if you'll sit down with me because my feet are killing me. But you won't ever catch me actually taking off my shoes before the end of the party.

Comments

  1. Love this post Dana! Everyone cries in their high heeled boots sometimes! Keep rocking it. <3.
    -Nykole

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Diagnosis Disorders and Uniqueness

Last week I found out some really hard news about my daughter. In my gut, I always knew certain parenting strategies wouldn't work for her like they did for my son. Everyone with more than one kid knows that. But more often than not, there are some pretty challenging as well as amazing quirks my daughter has which makes her incredibly unique. It seemed pretty clear to me my daughter has a speech delay. Not uncommon. However, the speech therapist also diagnosed her with something called sensory processing disorder. All of her behaviors I had thought which make her very adventurous, unique, stubborn, strong willed and creative are categorized under this disorder.  Something about the term "disorder" really bothered me which is why it was so hard to hear. Of course no parent wants their child to struggle, but I shirked away from so quickly putting a label on my 2 year old. The positive side to knowing she possibly has SPD is I already have gained some really positive

A call to parents raising children in a terror stricken era

How do we raise our children in this world?  I want to take a step back from the politics, the rhetoric, the trending hashtags and prayers vs. gun control debate. I want to address how our generation is going to raise our children in the era of mass shootings. Random mass shootings in our country.  I had not realized how much the fear of terror so close to home had affected me until I was at a Christmas concert at my church this past weekend. While listening to beautiful orchestra reverberating "Joy to the World' I began to think...what if there is a shooter planning on coming in here? My back is to the entrance. I began to fill with anxiety instead of peace. I heard a little boy asking his mom if a musician with his instrument was in fact a "guy with a big gun".   When did a concert I have attended most Christmases of my life turn into something other than joyous?  Growing up, it was normal for me to hear Tom Brokaw or Diane Sawyer on the evening news along

I woke up to a Lego gun in my face- how was your Saturday morning?

So we don't own any toy guns - we have two toy weapons by my estimation. A bow with soft tipped arrows and a miniature light saber which came with a Darth Vader build a bear. Both of those weapons are currently confiscated. My kids only watch Disney movies and PBS. And much to my dismay Paw Patrol.  So why is it that before dinner time I have been punched in the face (by accident), shot with "chemical fire", shot with a gun constructed by legos, and also obliterated by the "fastest ship ever with super mega guns that only breaks if someone on board has to go poop." Oh and the time I'm innocently brewing coffee in the kitchen? Out pops a little boy with a toy axe waving above his head saying "HI MOMMY!" He might as well said " HERE'S JOHNNY!! " Man it's a rough day.  And I'm not even going to mention all of the harm which has befallen a little sister and her baby dolls who are constantly napping and getting bo