Skip to main content

Downcast Eyes

Pushing that double stroller up the dusty path inhaling exhaust mixed with some restaurant salty BBQ aroma my eyes downcast on my worn down sneakers - each step a little closer to the top of the hill - wondering if this hill is always this hard or if I've skipped this run too many times lately and am burdened once again by the exhausting task of pushing the increasing weight my stroller holds. I am hypnotized by my feet and watching each heavy step and each small dust cloud created. Although the hill feels like ages long I am suddenly confronted by the top and quickly lift my eyes and face to the street corner. Only here I realize I am forced to look up from the safe rhythm of my shoes; one in front of the other making small impacts in well trodden earth. Then immediately after I lift my eyes, darkness starts to creep into my vision and I reach for the crosswalk poll and steady myself. I realize staring with downcast eyes while ascending the hill caused disorientation and almost a blackout. I can't help but recognize the metaphor.

When did I being going through the day to day - in other words my life - right here and right now with downcast eyes? Each day criticizing myself. Expecting more and more of myself. Assuming things others thought. In other words staring at my feet and only focusing on each step of each day because it seemed as if that is all I can handle. Why look up? Why notice life abundant around me? I am hypnotized by my feet. My worn self in the daily routine slowly heading through handling each circumstance as just another step toward the top and only as making a small dent in the well trodden Earth or perhaps a dust cloud. This perspective - this one which has led to me straying from my passion of writing- from running regularly - from all the things which make me Dana - causes disorientation. A dizzying feeling of surviving one day to the next. A blur of needs to be met, constant serving and a dispassionate approach to life.

I lift my eyes up. As I push the double stroller up the hill - as I go through the current season of raising a 3 and a 2 year old -I look up. I no longer look at my feet feeling unqualified. Feeling out of control. I look and am overwhelmed by goodness. I want to experience wonder through the eyes of my children. I want to face challenges head on and laugh daily. I don't ever want to look down at my feet again for so long I lose my vision. However, as I have grown older I realize I will again. And I know that is okay. And I know I have friends; my dear friends who will remind me of the wildly passionate, loving and fierce woman I am.

So my dear friends. Please don't go through your day (which is your life you are living right now) with downcast eyes. Eyes focused on what must be done. But eyes able to gaze upward and marvel at the typical daily loveliness. Eyes that can look with wonder, awaken awe, curate curiosity, and embrace all the surprises and uncertainty to come.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A call to parents raising children in a terror stricken era

How do we raise our children in this world?  I want to take a step back from the politics, the rhetoric, the trending hashtags and prayers vs. gun control debate. I want to address how our generation is going to raise our children in the era of mass shootings. Random mass shootings in our country.  I had not realized how much the fear of terror so close to home had affected me until I was at a Christmas concert at my church this past weekend. While listening to beautiful orchestra reverberating "Joy to the World' I began to think...what if there is a shooter planning on coming in here? My back is to the entrance. I began to fill with anxiety instead of peace. I heard a little boy asking his mom if a musician with his instrument was in fact a "guy with a big gun".   When did a concert I have attended most Christmases of my life turn into something other than joyous?  Growing up, it was normal for me to hear Tom Brokaw or Diane Sawyer on the evening news along

Diagnosis Disorders and Uniqueness

Last week I found out some really hard news about my daughter. In my gut, I always knew certain parenting strategies wouldn't work for her like they did for my son. Everyone with more than one kid knows that. But more often than not, there are some pretty challenging as well as amazing quirks my daughter has which makes her incredibly unique. It seemed pretty clear to me my daughter has a speech delay. Not uncommon. However, the speech therapist also diagnosed her with something called sensory processing disorder. All of her behaviors I had thought which make her very adventurous, unique, stubborn, strong willed and creative are categorized under this disorder.  Something about the term "disorder" really bothered me which is why it was so hard to hear. Of course no parent wants their child to struggle, but I shirked away from so quickly putting a label on my 2 year old. The positive side to knowing she possibly has SPD is I already have gained some really positive

I woke up to a Lego gun in my face- how was your Saturday morning?

So we don't own any toy guns - we have two toy weapons by my estimation. A bow with soft tipped arrows and a miniature light saber which came with a Darth Vader build a bear. Both of those weapons are currently confiscated. My kids only watch Disney movies and PBS. And much to my dismay Paw Patrol.  So why is it that before dinner time I have been punched in the face (by accident), shot with "chemical fire", shot with a gun constructed by legos, and also obliterated by the "fastest ship ever with super mega guns that only breaks if someone on board has to go poop." Oh and the time I'm innocently brewing coffee in the kitchen? Out pops a little boy with a toy axe waving above his head saying "HI MOMMY!" He might as well said " HERE'S JOHNNY!! " Man it's a rough day.  And I'm not even going to mention all of the harm which has befallen a little sister and her baby dolls who are constantly napping and getting bo