Skip to main content

5 Things a mama is thankful for this Thanksgiving.


Have you noticed there is a plethora of blog posts announcing the top "things" you need to know.
I'm just trying to keep track. I read one titled for instance "10 things you should NEVER say to your child." Oh man I'd better read that. I nervously think I've probably said 6 out of the 10 already. Then the next post - "the one thing that your child needs to hear from you"- Ah! What is it?! I am I saying it? Is my husband saying it? Panicked. Must read the one thing. Then 8 things you must know to raise a boy - or no it's 10 things to say and do to raise a confident girl today...So I am going to need a list of all these "things" for me as a mom to remember. These exact "things" I am supposed to do and supposed to say. I mean seriously. 

Anyways I decided after seeing yet another one to do a post of my own. The 5 things this mama is thankful for this Thanksgiving. Oh and if you are like me, you totally didn't read the first paragraph and are skimming the page in search of the LIST OF THINGS. Which some bloggers put in bold and is totally helpful so I can get down to business and evaluate my value as a mother and tally how I am saying all the wrong things, not saying the right things, raising a boy the wrong way and raising a girl who is not confident and totally going to make poor choices.

1. I am thankful for my drive to northern Los Angeles. Seriously. I am really looking forward to sitting in traffic for at least 3 hours. I'm not joking. I get to sit on my butt for a minimum of 3 hours. During the day.  

2. I am thankful for my favorite part of the Thanksgiving meal. The wine. And it's even ready for me during all the prep and clean up -with the least amount of dishes! I am so low maintenance. 

3. I am thankful for my mop, broom, vacuum cleaner  dog. 

4. I am thankful there is going to be a day where there is so much food everywhere and I don't have to put snacks in little baggies all day and frantically search for squeeze packs or bars wherever we may go. 

5. I am thankful for tryptophan - will it work on my children? 
Do kids even eat turkey? 

Most of all I am really thankful for the mess, the noise, and the overall chaos. It is admist all of this we love each other and experience tradition amongst these people who are our family. And for these little hooligans who got stuck with a mother who doesn't really care about the list of "things" to say.  

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Diagnosis Disorders and Uniqueness

Last week I found out some really hard news about my daughter. In my gut, I always knew certain parenting strategies wouldn't work for her like they did for my son. Everyone with more than one kid knows that. But more often than not, there are some pretty challenging as well as amazing quirks my daughter has which makes her incredibly unique. It seemed pretty clear to me my daughter has a speech delay. Not uncommon. However, the speech therapist also diagnosed her with something called sensory processing disorder. All of her behaviors I had thought which make her very adventurous, unique, stubborn, strong willed and creative are categorized under this disorder.  Something about the term "disorder" really bothered me which is why it was so hard to hear. Of course no parent wants their child to struggle, but I shirked away from so quickly putting a label on my 2 year old. The positive side to knowing she possibly has SPD is I already have gained some really positive

I woke up to a Lego gun in my face- how was your Saturday morning?

So we don't own any toy guns - we have two toy weapons by my estimation. A bow with soft tipped arrows and a miniature light saber which came with a Darth Vader build a bear. Both of those weapons are currently confiscated. My kids only watch Disney movies and PBS. And much to my dismay Paw Patrol.  So why is it that before dinner time I have been punched in the face (by accident), shot with "chemical fire", shot with a gun constructed by legos, and also obliterated by the "fastest ship ever with super mega guns that only breaks if someone on board has to go poop." Oh and the time I'm innocently brewing coffee in the kitchen? Out pops a little boy with a toy axe waving above his head saying "HI MOMMY!" He might as well said " HERE'S JOHNNY!! " Man it's a rough day.  And I'm not even going to mention all of the harm which has befallen a little sister and her baby dolls who are constantly napping and getting bo

A call to parents raising children in a terror stricken era

How do we raise our children in this world?  I want to take a step back from the politics, the rhetoric, the trending hashtags and prayers vs. gun control debate. I want to address how our generation is going to raise our children in the era of mass shootings. Random mass shootings in our country.  I had not realized how much the fear of terror so close to home had affected me until I was at a Christmas concert at my church this past weekend. While listening to beautiful orchestra reverberating "Joy to the World' I began to think...what if there is a shooter planning on coming in here? My back is to the entrance. I began to fill with anxiety instead of peace. I heard a little boy asking his mom if a musician with his instrument was in fact a "guy with a big gun".   When did a concert I have attended most Christmases of my life turn into something other than joyous?  Growing up, it was normal for me to hear Tom Brokaw or Diane Sawyer on the evening news along