Skip to main content

In defense of Mom's night out

Here's the scene.. and you know we've all been there. So I'm out on a date- actually a double date. And the four of us are standing around holding our craft beers and trying to seem awake and ready to head out to the late starting concert and not thinking about what time we will have to wake up.

Then my friend and I start talking enthusiastically - about our kids. It's actually the subject we are laughing about and comparing war stories on. Then we stop and notice our husbands standing there beers in hand listening. My husband remarks, "See there they go again talking about the kids."

Well husband this post is an explanation about why moms when in order to finally go out on a date pay teens large amounts of cash to look at their Instagram while the babies sleep soundly or kiss their husbands good bye for a mom's night out end up talking about the kids all night long.

I decided I'm not going to fight it anymore and here's why. There's really nothing wrong with talking about the kids while out. I mean it's actually pretty fun and I love hearing stories about other people's kids because then I realize that what my kids are doing is pretty normal (except for maybe peeing in my coffee..see previous blog post).

So of course I decided to analyze it. We all do it. Mothers especially. Why do we want to spend all night away from our kids talking to each other about our kids?! It's not like we don't have other interests, know whats going on in the world, or have amazing taste in music, food and anything else cool that I should know. Right?

Here's the low down. When I was in law school - what did we talk about while out drinking? Law school. Legal jargon. Law jokes. Interesting cases in the news. Professor horror stories. People in our class. All about law school. When we are out trying to get a break from law school.

When my husband was in veterinary school - what did his classmates and him all talk about at social functions? I have no clue. But it was about veterinary medicine.

And then when I worked before kids -what did we all talk about when we would go out? Work. Work. Work.

So basically moms going out together is no different. Our kids are our law school, our veterinary school, our work. Except they are way funnier, crazier and more unpredictable than any of these things. They also push you to a limit where if you find other friendly moms to talk with it creates an immediate bond. Sometimes I feel embarrassed when I make a new mom friend or two and my husband asks - so where is she from? What did she used to do? What is her favorite color? I have no idea. I do know some pretty adorable and hilarious stories about her kids though. Honestly I don't know if I would have much else in common with my mom friends. All we really do talk about is our kids. But who cares? I've met some pretty amazing women who I wouldn't have normally known had it not been for our offspring and their parenting styles and world views are different and I learn from them.

So next time I go out with some fellow comrades I will spend the whole time talking about my kids and listening to stories about their kids. And maybe I will get around to finding out what their favorite color is but at the end of the day - we have fun and that's what matters! And just a side note when I go out alone with the hubs I'll do my best to not talk about the kids... because that's a whole other story.

P.S. My husband just read this and would like to clarify he really didn't ask and doesn't care what my mom friend's favorite color is

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A call to parents raising children in a terror stricken era

How do we raise our children in this world?  I want to take a step back from the politics, the rhetoric, the trending hashtags and prayers vs. gun control debate. I want to address how our generation is going to raise our children in the era of mass shootings. Random mass shootings in our country.  I had not realized how much the fear of terror so close to home had affected me until I was at a Christmas concert at my church this past weekend. While listening to beautiful orchestra reverberating "Joy to the World' I began to think...what if there is a shooter planning on coming in here? My back is to the entrance. I began to fill with anxiety instead of peace. I heard a little boy asking his mom if a musician with his instrument was in fact a "guy with a big gun".   When did a concert I have attended most Christmases of my life turn into something other than joyous?  Growing up, it was normal for me to hear Tom Brokaw or Diane Sawyer on the evening news along

Diagnosis Disorders and Uniqueness

Last week I found out some really hard news about my daughter. In my gut, I always knew certain parenting strategies wouldn't work for her like they did for my son. Everyone with more than one kid knows that. But more often than not, there are some pretty challenging as well as amazing quirks my daughter has which makes her incredibly unique. It seemed pretty clear to me my daughter has a speech delay. Not uncommon. However, the speech therapist also diagnosed her with something called sensory processing disorder. All of her behaviors I had thought which make her very adventurous, unique, stubborn, strong willed and creative are categorized under this disorder.  Something about the term "disorder" really bothered me which is why it was so hard to hear. Of course no parent wants their child to struggle, but I shirked away from so quickly putting a label on my 2 year old. The positive side to knowing she possibly has SPD is I already have gained some really positive

I woke up to a Lego gun in my face- how was your Saturday morning?

So we don't own any toy guns - we have two toy weapons by my estimation. A bow with soft tipped arrows and a miniature light saber which came with a Darth Vader build a bear. Both of those weapons are currently confiscated. My kids only watch Disney movies and PBS. And much to my dismay Paw Patrol.  So why is it that before dinner time I have been punched in the face (by accident), shot with "chemical fire", shot with a gun constructed by legos, and also obliterated by the "fastest ship ever with super mega guns that only breaks if someone on board has to go poop." Oh and the time I'm innocently brewing coffee in the kitchen? Out pops a little boy with a toy axe waving above his head saying "HI MOMMY!" He might as well said " HERE'S JOHNNY!! " Man it's a rough day.  And I'm not even going to mention all of the harm which has befallen a little sister and her baby dolls who are constantly napping and getting bo