Skip to main content

5 Things Expect when Visiting the Snow with Preschoolers

Can anyone else relate to visiting the snow with small children? It is definitely an experience and I want to be clear that this post is written from the point of view of a San Diego mama.

5 things to expect  when visiting the snow with preschoolers :

1. The glove situation

Anyone who knows how to successfully get a 1 year old's hands into a snow glove please comment below. Also be prepared for a 3 year old to consistently not have his thumb in the thumb part of the snow mitten.

2. It will take longer to get out the door than you expect 

Once everyone is adequately dressed and stuffed into their snow gear you'd better head out the door quickly because although you started getting dressed right after breakfast it is going to be almost lunch time by the time everyone is ready. Well at least for a southern California family - I'm sure those mamas who live in snow have it down to a science. They get their kids to school on time. I mean I barely make it to preschool drop off in San Diego...

3. Keep them warm 

Keeping the kids warm the whole time is key to having a good time in the snow. Any wet snow down their back or cold feet and hands will instantly end the snowman building fun. And is also a natural way to teach that those impossible gloves are actually important.

4. Do you want to build a snowman? 

At least in my case my husband and I built an amazing snowman while our kids stared at us like we are the craziest people ever. Even though my three year old talked about building a snow man the whole trip. I guess the actual labor is different than Frozen. Sorry buddy I'm not Elsa.

5. Get ready for some seriously cute quotes

Anytime preschoolers experience something new they are going to say the funniest things. For example, although my 1 year old daughter cannot talk, she emphatically did not want any snow to touch her boots. And my three year old continues to be amazed that every time he looks out the window there is still snow on the ground, exclaiming, "Mommy there is still snow!!" After some great snow man building and sledding, he stated, " Now it's time to get back to the cabin get nice and warm in the fire, eat soup and all take a nap. "

Can I say amen to all of  that especially all take a nap part, but I had to insist we get nice and warm next to the fire not in it.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A call to parents raising children in a terror stricken era

How do we raise our children in this world?  I want to take a step back from the politics, the rhetoric, the trending hashtags and prayers vs. gun control debate. I want to address how our generation is going to raise our children in the era of mass shootings. Random mass shootings in our country.  I had not realized how much the fear of terror so close to home had affected me until I was at a Christmas concert at my church this past weekend. While listening to beautiful orchestra reverberating "Joy to the World' I began to think...what if there is a shooter planning on coming in here? My back is to the entrance. I began to fill with anxiety instead of peace. I heard a little boy asking his mom if a musician with his instrument was in fact a "guy with a big gun".   When did a concert I have attended most Christmases of my life turn into something other than joyous?  Growing up, it was normal for me to hear Tom Brokaw or Diane Sawyer on the evening news along

Diagnosis Disorders and Uniqueness

Last week I found out some really hard news about my daughter. In my gut, I always knew certain parenting strategies wouldn't work for her like they did for my son. Everyone with more than one kid knows that. But more often than not, there are some pretty challenging as well as amazing quirks my daughter has which makes her incredibly unique. It seemed pretty clear to me my daughter has a speech delay. Not uncommon. However, the speech therapist also diagnosed her with something called sensory processing disorder. All of her behaviors I had thought which make her very adventurous, unique, stubborn, strong willed and creative are categorized under this disorder.  Something about the term "disorder" really bothered me which is why it was so hard to hear. Of course no parent wants their child to struggle, but I shirked away from so quickly putting a label on my 2 year old. The positive side to knowing she possibly has SPD is I already have gained some really positive

I woke up to a Lego gun in my face- how was your Saturday morning?

So we don't own any toy guns - we have two toy weapons by my estimation. A bow with soft tipped arrows and a miniature light saber which came with a Darth Vader build a bear. Both of those weapons are currently confiscated. My kids only watch Disney movies and PBS. And much to my dismay Paw Patrol.  So why is it that before dinner time I have been punched in the face (by accident), shot with "chemical fire", shot with a gun constructed by legos, and also obliterated by the "fastest ship ever with super mega guns that only breaks if someone on board has to go poop." Oh and the time I'm innocently brewing coffee in the kitchen? Out pops a little boy with a toy axe waving above his head saying "HI MOMMY!" He might as well said " HERE'S JOHNNY!! " Man it's a rough day.  And I'm not even going to mention all of the harm which has befallen a little sister and her baby dolls who are constantly napping and getting bo