Skip to main content

5 Things Expect when Visiting the Snow with Preschoolers

Can anyone else relate to visiting the snow with small children? It is definitely an experience and I want to be clear that this post is written from the point of view of a San Diego mama.

5 things to expect  when visiting the snow with preschoolers :

1. The glove situation

Anyone who knows how to successfully get a 1 year old's hands into a snow glove please comment below. Also be prepared for a 3 year old to consistently not have his thumb in the thumb part of the snow mitten.

2. It will take longer to get out the door than you expect 

Once everyone is adequately dressed and stuffed into their snow gear you'd better head out the door quickly because although you started getting dressed right after breakfast it is going to be almost lunch time by the time everyone is ready. Well at least for a southern California family - I'm sure those mamas who live in snow have it down to a science. They get their kids to school on time. I mean I barely make it to preschool drop off in San Diego...

3. Keep them warm 

Keeping the kids warm the whole time is key to having a good time in the snow. Any wet snow down their back or cold feet and hands will instantly end the snowman building fun. And is also a natural way to teach that those impossible gloves are actually important.

4. Do you want to build a snowman? 

At least in my case my husband and I built an amazing snowman while our kids stared at us like we are the craziest people ever. Even though my three year old talked about building a snow man the whole trip. I guess the actual labor is different than Frozen. Sorry buddy I'm not Elsa.

5. Get ready for some seriously cute quotes

Anytime preschoolers experience something new they are going to say the funniest things. For example, although my 1 year old daughter cannot talk, she emphatically did not want any snow to touch her boots. And my three year old continues to be amazed that every time he looks out the window there is still snow on the ground, exclaiming, "Mommy there is still snow!!" After some great snow man building and sledding, he stated, " Now it's time to get back to the cabin get nice and warm in the fire, eat soup and all take a nap. "

Can I say amen to all of  that especially all take a nap part, but I had to insist we get nice and warm next to the fire not in it.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I'm not moving to Canada and I hope you don't either

Dear fellow Americans,

Yesterday I woke up singing "sister suffragette" with misty eyes.

 "Cast off the shackles of yesterday
 shoulder to shoulder -
into the fray!"

Not because I love Hillary Clinton. Because of the historical significance that she was even on the ballot. That the idea a woman could run for president won't be a fairy tale to my children. As I sat on the brown corduroy couch in my predictably blue state I watched state after state shock the news as it came up bright red.

Friends, history is alive right now. We are the American people and the generation experiencing this shift in paradigm today. How are we going to respond?

Susan B. Anthony's grave was covered with women's "I voted" stickers yesterday.
 I don't think Susan B. Anthony would leave the country if she was alive today.
Did she leave the country or threaten to when she was arrested for illegal voting?

Did Rosa Parks try to leave the country after she faced Jim Cr…

The Mom Grinch

The other day I was feeling especially grinchy. Standing in the kitchen unloading the dishwasher for the tenth time that day, it dawned on me Christmas is only for children...and men. A feeling of bitterness, exhaustion and pressure crept over me as I crammed another sippy cup into the cupboard. It's up to me - the mom - to pull off Christmas. And since my kids are 2 and 4 - well it had better be magical. I wasn't exactly feeling magical. You know, the whole family, just yesterday were in the throws of the stomach flu and I'm pretty sure our elf, Sandy, brought it from the north pole and infected us all with his obnoxious Christmas germs.

So here I am mad at Christmas, because I've discovered December is a month of the year where moms need to put it in overdrive. The normal day to day doesn't go away. Now, I've got to decorate, move that elf, shop, bake cookies, design, address and mail Christmas cards, see Santa... I began to feel even more rotten. Then I utte…

Dear tired and hurting mamas...

Dear Mamas,


For me this is the Monday morning of spring break. For you it may just be another Monday and you may be completely not affected by school schedules yet. What if this week we had a choice?  A choice to let love be the loudest voice. Ultimately, we are really the ones who decide whether or not we are going to thrive in motherhood rather than merely surviving. It may not seem like that when love is not the loudest voice. When all the other crap weighs us down. When are not only desperately physically and emotionally needed constantly by our children but at the same time are attacked by the negativity of our mind. When we are so physically tired but then are not being kind to ourselves. Comparing ourselves to other moms in a negative way. Thinking other moms are better than us or that we are in adequate. We must try harder. Or how about worrying that something terrible will happen to our children unless we are completely aware and prepared for any situation? Or some of us may …